Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

KIP 8000 not printing good solid blacks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 8000 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrankR
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: KIP 8000 not printing good solid blacks Reply with quote Back to top

Hello all,

We have a KIP 8000 in one of our shops that has recently undergone a "refreshing" by one of our service techs. Test prints were visibly poor (washed out) on the side of the dev unit farthest away from where the toner enters. Large black filled areas or big fonts (such as on title sheets) would not be filled in very well also.

By "refreshed" I mean that the entire unit was emptied of all toner. INX used to clean rollers. Everything put back together, new toner poured in and a 99 was run.

Output is somewhat better, but not as good as it should be. Where should we look next?

Thanks in advance as always,

Frank R.
Dataflow, Inc.
Albany, NY

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Most likely a worn supply roller is causing your issue. To check this take a 1 x 3 piece of acetate and try to insert it in between the supply roller and the developer roller on the inside of the dev unit. I would guess that on the side that you have poor quality the strip will slide right in. It shouldn't. It should be a very tight fit. You should have to force it in.

PS it is not a real refresh unless you remove both the dev roller and the supply roller and completly rejuvenate them both. Just cleaning the dev roller will have short lived results. I routinely get about 1 to 2 million sq ft out of my refreshed units. A customer called me the other day to say he had over 3 million on one and he was still running it.

FrankR
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the quick response.

Does rejuvenation of the supply roller make the rollers "fit" tighter? Or is the gap that I'm looking for with the acetate a result of the roller becoming worn to the point where it is a smaller diameter than originally?

The machine has about 4.5 million sq ft on it, about 2.5 mil on the current dev unit which has undergone at least 3 "in-house" refreshings.

This area of poor fill has always occurred on the last 25% of the dev unit (the farthest portion from the toner supply) and has a very defined line where it goes from good to bad when you run test prints.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Rejuvenation does change the diameter of the roller slightly as it tends to "fluff up" the compacted roller. Sometimes the roller is worn beyond use though. You cant tell for sure unless the roller measured with a vernier caliper.

scott
doctor

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Doc,

You don't have to tell your trade secrets, but how do you "rejuvenate" the supply roller?

Scott

P.S. And is ther any reliable way to get rid of the trrail edge haze on the 2000?????

KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry, ancient Chinese secret.

Trail edge haze on the 2000, always included at no charge from KIP.

You can try increasing the spring tension on the regulation roller. Some have said that works.

I have played around with the separation off timing to some success.

Transfer guide height has also helped a bit.

Neil Johnston
doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cleaning the paper path with Brillianzie really well can help with the haze issue.

As for the supply roller. I don't know what the doc does but I can tell you what I do. I use a scotch pad on it. Ruff it up. I used to use a brush but when I'd look at it closely I'd see some shinny compacted areas where the toner was just embedded in the roller. I knew I had to be more agressive. The scotch pad works very well but don't get crazy with it. Too much could decrease the size of the roller and then it wont fit tight to the Dev roll. Vacume the roller first and then give it one or two good swipes with the scotch pad. This should break up any compacted toner on the surface revealing fresh foam.

scott
doctor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Neil. Your brilllianize trick has helped most of my 2000's, but I have one unit that brillianize and everything else just won't fix. Did it from the day it came out of the box, I spent the better part of two weeks on the phone with Kip, the customer finally asked me to give it up. They don't care about the hazy trail edge, but every time I go there I see it. It just nags at me. Otherwise the prints look great.

I just use a brush on the supply roller and have to scrub them regulary, I have a spare i will try the scotch brite pad next time.

Doc,

I don't blame you for keeping the ancient chinese secret, you have given me and probably many of your competitors a great deal of Kip wisdom, thanks.

Scott

jojobutthead
medical school grad

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Scotch brite makes 4 different pads, white, blue, green and brown the white is the non abrasive and the brown is the most abrasive. I have used the white pads on many rollers and it works without damaging the roller.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

for trail edge haze try adjusting AC OFF timing downn to ZERO this also work on 6000s

KIP VADAR
medical school senior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

you can also increase you're data bus time for haze on a 2000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 8000 Discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: