Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Dell computer for STF PC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP software info.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin
medical school grad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Dell computer for STF PC Reply with quote Back to top

My boss wants our in-house STF PCs to be upgraded along with our embedded controllers (these are 8000s).
He wants to go through Dell for the STFs, which I am opposed to for a number of reasons, the principal one being that if anything goes out, I am afraid that Dell's hardware might not play nice with readily available replacements. For example, I seem to recall Dell having a proprietary power supply. Maybe I'm wrong, but anyway my question is:

Have you guys run into any issues with Dells as STF PCs? - any hardware incompatibilities, driver problems, etc. . .

Personally, I would like to build the PCs myself or at least configure them myself minus all the junk that Dell throws on their machines, but I'm not the one paying for them. If anyone has a Dell horror story I can take back to the boss, let me know about it.

Thanks,
Martin

Jay
intern

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We use Dell for our stf stations that we sell. No problems so far. Usually they come with Dell onsite warranty for three years, but I have not had any problems with them. The software they install usually takes a little while to uninstall, but I do it before we send the computers out. I think the power supplies are proprietary so if I was using it in house at a print shop I would build my own.

GR81
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Martin,

We have around 100 KIP STF stations out in the field.
All of them are Dell.
We have never had a single problem with the Dells.

Martin
medical school grad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

OK cool.

I have carried a long standing bias against Dell computers for awhile.
I don't know why.
I guess I'm just a big jerk.

Oh well, thanks for the information, guys.

Martin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Martin wrote:
OK cool.

I have carried a long standing bias against Dell computers for awhile.
I don't know why.
I guess I'm just a big jerk.

Oh well, thanks for the information, guys.

Martin

I have had a few issues with dells, unfortunately.
Usually it has to do specifically with SCSI cards and how Dell has a tendancy to hard code IRQ's to specific PCI slots, as opposed to true PCI IRQ sharing. Occasionally you might have an install where you need to change the Slot the PCI card goes into. Then it works OK.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP software info. All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: