Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Getting to Unattend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 5000 Discussions (new)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charred
intern

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Getting to Unattend Reply with quote Back to top

i installed a 5000 and it happened to be at a customer who needs a slighty diferent setup.

the customer has an operator which needs to release jobs from the queue. their previous setup they had an old 5000 (starprint). and were using request 4. he had access to unattend and was able to release the jobs from the queue and had full control of which jobs went first and such.
they need the "same" control over the jobs now and i have tried a few different workarounds.
i talked to kip and they werent very helpful at all. right now i have them set up to login as service, close down the UI and set unattend to manager mode. then the operator can move the jobs as needed and "release " them one by one by toggling the manager mode off & on to release the top job.
i am looking for a way for them to be able to do this without logging into service (for obvious reasons). the UI is set to fullscreen and i cant bypass it. i have hooked up a keyboard to the controller and tried ALT-TAB, CTRL-ESC, ALT-F4, and even windows key. ALT-TAB pops up the other running items (unattend and kipwatch) but it wont switch to the selected one. i also tried some 3rd party programs to mark unattend at the top but it wont show up above the UI when its running. i also was looking for something to keep the taskbar showing at the bottom of the screen so they could just switch back and forth to no avail.
anyone have any other ideas on how to get out of the UI without having the customer login as service to close it? maybe even something that could even just kill the UI from a hotkey and then they could bring it back up whenever they needed to scan or copy. the best thing i can think of would be to somehow get the alt-tab or the taskbar to work to quick switch.

pq
resident

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm having trouble understanding why they want to inflict such a heavy hand of control over printing to such as fast printer. Why not let it do it's job?

Regardless, you could have the operator press the Interrupt button while in the Copy or Scan screen to pause the queue. I'm not sure how you verify what is in the queue without exiting to the Job Info screen.

If that doesn't do what they want (doesn't sound like it would), you can exit the UI without logging in via the service code, by using the following sequence:

Double-click the KIP/custom logo
Single-click the green Start
Single-click the red Reset

Sounds like they want a feature which does not exist in the KIP inteface, but does exist in the Ratio Plotbase software (for Ricoh). It has an auto on/off button that pauses the queue and allows you to manually release, reprint and edit selected jobs as desired. You can preview files that are in each job. For these reasons alone, the PlotBase job history/queue management is superior to KIP's.

charred
intern

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yeah i have no idea why they want to do it this way. i guess they are just used to the way they had it when they had access to unattend. thanks for the tip on another way to close the UI. if that does work it should solve one of those problems. i am going back over tomorrow, so i will give it a shot. thanks

MasterBlaster
intern

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You could set up a custom papertype and then every job wouldn't print until you went to the job info screen and changed the media to what is installed in the machine.

It seems like this would solve the problem and keep them in the interface.

peter_kelowna
medical school grad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: use a mouse Reply with quote Back to top

Run a mouse to the a USB port on the KIP. "Right Click" on the upper blue border and choose "Send Cntrl-alt-delete". This will open your task manager and you'll be able to quickly close and restart the UI this way.
It's also a good way to delete stubborn files from the Request directory from the unit.
[/quote]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 5000 Discussions (new) All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: