Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

UPS board(controller power up)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 6000 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcrawford
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: UPS board(controller power up) Reply with quote Back to top

I have a 6000 that keeps blowing fuses on the UPS board. I tried a new board and still the same thing. The new board however did not have fuse in it, which surprised me. I know they are ceramic, and 2amp, but my knowledge of fuses lacks. I would like to know the rating on this fuse, and if it is a slow or fast blow(acting). And does the ceramic matter? The customer where this printer is located, was replacing the fuses as they would blow. He was using 2amp fast blow, that are non ceramic. Is this the issue, if I were to put the ceramic fuse in would this take care of my issue?

KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Terry, this ups board is the same one as the 8000. I have had many fuses blow. What I do is to replace the fuse with a fast acting three amp. I have not had another one blow after doing that.

tcrawford
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well one part I left out was the customer was replacing his own fuses, and had 2 boxes of fuses, 2, and 5amp when I went ther to do my service I blew 2(his last ones) fuses then put the 5amp in and thoose were blowing too. So surely a 3amp wouldn't hold up(these were fast blow). And I am still confused on the ceramic, verse non-ceramic.

KIPDOCTOR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think you have incoming power problems if you are popping the 5 amp fuses. Anything below 205 with the machine on is going to be a problem.

Bestech
medical school freshman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: UPS board fuse Reply with quote Back to top

Ceramic fuses are physically much stronger than glass fuses, they can withstand the pressure when the fuse element vaporizes from a dead short. Why ceramic is required for a 2 amp fuse is a mystery to me, since 2A x 250V = 500W to vaporize the fuse element, which isn't nearly enough power to explode a glass fuse. 20A x 250v = 5000W to vaporize a much greater mass of metal, which might generate enough pressure to burst glass, but wouldn't be a problem for ceramic. I wouldn't replace the original type fuse with anything except a 2 amp slo-blow. If there is a fire and you have a 3 or 5 amp fuse in there, you might be faced with some tough questions from your friendly local fire marshall and a few dozen not so friendly attorneys. If the machine blows a 2 amp slo-blow fuse, I'd replace the controller power supply. Good Luck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 6000 Discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: