Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

9900 with black specks on prints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 9000 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjohnson
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: 9900 with black specks on prints Reply with quote Back to top

I have a 9900 that we use in house to sell prints to customers. This machine has recently started getting small black specks stuck to the drum that show up as black dots on the prints. I have seen virtually all Kip drums get the specks but they show up as white dots in the solid fill, this machine is backwards. I have waxed the drum 3 times in one month, the DV unit has been scrubbed as per the KIP DV cleaning procedure, still getting the dots showing up.. any ideas out there?

scott
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have been having issues with the tape holding the paper rolls closed. Some of the tape can be peeled off, but leaves adhesive behind. If the operator does not manually cut off enough paper during roll changes, the adhesive sticks to the drum.
You may want to check the paper.

Scott

tjohnson
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the quick reply Scott. I have also felt that may be the issue with this machine and I have requested all users that add paper make sure to trim off the entire first loop of the roll but I also have 2 8000 in this printing department that are used almost as heavily as the 9000 and the problem doesn't exist on either of those machine. The specks that do get stuck to the drum show as white voids on the prints on the 8000s and I have only waxed those drums once in the last year and the prints still look pretty good. I can't help but think there may be something else going on here.

scott
doctor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In that case I would not suspect the paper either.
Unluckily I do not have any other ideas for you. If I think of anything I will let you know.

Scott

tjohnson
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks anyway Scott, I appreciate your help!

slyman
doctor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have those kind of spot at specialy one customer and it's on 7000IPS and 9000.

For them, it is the adhesive left by the removed tape. On both machines, it give me like you have, a few black spots.

Maybe, just an idea, your cleaning roller get those adhesive things from the drum and repeate them on the drum...did you replace the cleaning roller ? You may also have to clean the dev roller...

tjohnson
doctor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the suggestions SLYMAN. Since I have had to clean this drum so often I decided to check everything I could think of one week ago that could cause this problem to repeat so often. I scrubbed the developer roller, cleaned the cleaning roller and checked for any adhesive on it, and waxed the drum and the specks started showing up again within a couple of days. I also thought it may be the adhesive from the paper rolls but our 2 8000s don't get black specks, they show up as white specks. It just may be the difference in the toners or something that makes the difference though. I am still monitoring after cleaning the drum with alcohol last time without waxing it to make sure all adhesive is gone.

vi08
medical school grad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

are the black speckles on the print in the same line when you run a longer print? and are they fairly the same size or is it more like toner dropping on the print? do they come back in the same place after polishing the drum or do they move around?
are they on the print before the fuser or after?
seems like only a defect in the drum surface will cause a black speck, the coating on the drum is missing, like a nick in the surface.
damaged coating on a fuser might cause this too.
sorry for all the ?, just trying to think what might be causing this

tjohnson
doctor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The marks definitely are on the drum and they are different looking and size of specks. Cleaning the drum does take care of it but they come back within a couple of days. The drum does not have any damage as in nicks, and it certainly seems like its adhesive residue from new paper rolls, although the users have been trained and trained on how to load paper and cut off long enough lengths to remove the adhesive residue. I also have 2 8000s running next to it, but when it gets residue on the drums that attract toner they show up as blank specks, but I've pretty much come to the conclusion its just the difference in engines between the 2. The specks definitely are in the same areas that the adhesive is on the different sizes of rolls. Thanks for your input.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 9000 Discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: