Welcome to the KeepItPrinting.com forums! The doctor is IN.

Your business can be seen here! Prime spots available!

Please consider making a voluntary donation if you find these forums helpful. Thank you.
Home of the Kip Doctor!            REGISTER: In order to register for our forums please send an E mail to [email protected] stating what user                                                               name and password you would like. This is now required due to all the spambots that have been registering.
KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index KeepItPrinting.com
The "unofficial' and "unauthorized" KIP info site.

Long Time to Restart Printing After Toner Runs Out on 8000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 8000 Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MDRepro
medical school grad

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Long Time to Restart Printing After Toner Runs Out on 8000 Reply with quote Back to top

Whenever the printer runs out of toner, it takes 3 or 4 minutes of opening and closing the toner door(to make it cycle) before the machine starts printing again. During this time the printer continues to read 'out of toner.' I replaced the toner sensor in the hopper to no avail. Any suggestions?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gone fishin
medical school grad

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Check the opening Reply with quote Back to top

Check the opening from the toner bottle to the toner hopper for any obstruction.
Then try seervice mode 9 sub mode 9 then press enter this will cycle toner to the dev assy.

MDRepro
medical school grad

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There is no obstruction to the dev assembly/hopper. This has been going on for a few weeks. Once it starts printing again it's fine...until it runs out of toner again.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
scott
doctor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cheat the toner hopper door and make sure the motor that drives the auger in the toner bottle is turning and the gears aren't jumping.

Scott

lead guitarist
intern

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have had this problem and found the small mylar wiper inside the toner assy to be a problem. I have modified the wiper so that it does not wipe the sensor face clean as it rotates. I took this wiper out and gave the edge a saw tooth cut along the edge that wipes the sensor. In this manner it leaves a small amount left on the sensor face so when you add a new toner bottle the sensor is'nt wiped so clean and the logic can see that there is now toner. This has not effected the machines ability to run out of toner and not actually be out of toner if you know what I mean.
In conjuntion with this I have also found that the sensor itself is also suspect at times as I have seen two different numbers on the sensor itself.
This tells me that Kip changed sensor sensitivity for what ever reason.
You did not mention if you are running KIP toner or not. Remember third party toners can't be exactly like OEM because of patent infringment.
They have to change their toner bottle so the hole on the end may not be the same size or the paper that covers the hole is different enough that it impedes toner from falling out at the right amount.

My two cents
John D. Beckerley
A.K.A lead guitarist

MDRepro
medical school grad

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have tried cheating the door and it seems to be advancing toner fine. We have 5 8000's with many miles on them and have never and still do not have this problem with any of them except for one and have been using the same toner for over a year. Am definitely open for suggestions though! Thanks to all so far.

james
resident

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I would put OEM toner in the problem machine and see if it makes any difference. Then continue with troubleshooting if that doesn't resolve it. I'be been bit by non-OEM toner on many types of copier/printers.
Why waste time?

MDRepro
medical school grad

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You're right, why waste the time. I'll give it a try, I really can't think of anything else I could be missing.

Andre D Giant
dreaming of medical school

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Toner Restart Reply with quote Back to top

One thing I am thinking is the switch on the toner door is going bad - I have seen some get clogged with toner and still look ok but give intermittent problems.

Just a thought.

MDRepro
medical school grad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I fixed the problem finally, perhaps with something I should have tried earlier. As a last resort, I took out the dev unit and replaced the toner sensor on it and that fixed the problem. You would think that it would last the life of the dev unit at least, but hey, ya never know Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KeepItPrinting.com Forum Index -> KIP 8000 Discussions All times are GMT - 3.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: